Del.icio.us is my new favorite site, although it does not unseat Google as my all time favorite. This was by far my most favorite of the three websites that was asked of me to explore. I did start my own account for a couple of reasons. First, all of my family is in Oklahoma City and I travel there to visit whenever I can. I can remember times when I have been on my parents' computer in OKC and wanting to find a website I had bookmarked on MY computer, but being unable to remember how to get there while sitting at another computer. Now with Del.icio.us, I can sign into my account to find it.
I also love this site because now I don't have to worry about saving all of my favorite sites to My Favorite places, not backing them up, and then having my computer crash. Yes, this has happened to me on more than on occasion. I also really like the Tag button this site installs on your computer. This tag button makes it SO simple to add sites to your account. With the other sites, it wasn't so easy. The other sites required you to copy the URL, then go back to their site, THEN paste it in. No, thank you! With Del.icio.us, it's one click and you're done.
I also liked how Del.icio.us is geared toward saving sites themselves whereas the other two sites seemed more geared to just articles and news found on the web.
One way teachers can use advantage of Del.icio.us is by the social networking aspect of it. If you find someone who has several categories of links you like, you can subscribe to them by RSS feed. For example, if you found someone who had several language arts links for elementary school students, you could sign up for their RSS feed and get the sites they add sent directly to you without having to check back on them through the site. Teachers can also make use of this site by keeping all of their sites they found for use in their classroom all in one spot so they can use them over and over again in coming years.
Del.icio.us has endless possibilities, and I look forward to adding more and more sites to my account as well as discovering other sites others with my same interests have found.
No comments:
Post a Comment