Saturday, June 18, 2011

Thing #6

I chose YouTube as my site.  http://www.youtube.com/ because I think this is not only a fun website, but an educational one as well.  To this day, I have not searched for something, regardless of how out there the topic, and NOT been able to find hundreds if not thousands of videos on it. 

For example, as I mentioned before, I have zero teaching experience so just for fun, I typed "first grade reading" into the search box.  The search results listed many various videos on how to teach first graders to read.  After I watched one of the videos, another video came up entitled "First Day of School Preparation," which could also prove useful to me.  As a new teacher, this site can offer me endless resources.

I could also use YouTube in the classroom.  I found some fun reading videos with songs for first graders along with other fun, age appropriate videos in other elementary subjects. 

YouTube is useful in the field of education in other ways too.  One of the homework assignments for one of my online classes here at APSU was to upload an instructional video onto YouTube.

One of the features of this website I like is the fill-in search.  For example, if I know I want to look up videos relating to first grade, but I'm not really sure beyond that, I can type in "first grade" in the search box.  Once that is in, several choices will drop down for me to choose from, such as first grade reading, first grade math, first grade songs, and so forth.  Another feature I like is that I can sort by search results by relevance, upload date, or by the rating other viewers have given it.

There are endless possibilities for YouTube.  You just need some imagination and loads of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment