Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Thing #18

For this thing, I already had a Facebook as well as a Twitter.  I don't feel comfortable putting either link up here.  I'm a private person and I would like to remain that way. :-)

It is important for educators to know how these sites work because their students certainly will.  I think the teacher who is not afraid of these sites and who is capable of having an open dialog with students about them will have an advantage over those teachers who do not. One of these advantages is that the teacher who is fluent in social networking will also be fluent in the language.  A teacher could even set up a classroom Facebook page, invite all of the students to be "friends" and use the page as a communication tool.  Not only could all of the students communicate with one another, but a student could even send the teacher a private message through the messaging tool.  Students and teachers could also make use of the chat if they chose.

I tend to favor Facebook over Twitter because one, I am more familiar with it and two, Facebook seems to have less limitations.  I like how Facebook has a chat feature, messaging that is akin to e-mail, you can post pictures, and post links.  With Twitter, although you can post links, it just seems more of text rich application.

No comments:

Post a Comment